Bus Safety & Conduct
There are a number of things that you can do in order to render your bus journey enjoyable, safer and more secure for you and for your fellow passengers.
At the bus stop or bus station:
- Get to the bus stop /station in do time before the scheduled departure time.
- It you are waiting at a bus stop, don’t let children play on the road or attempt to approach the bus until it has stopped.
- Stand back from the kerb as the bus pulls in.
- Be sure that the bus driver can see you and you can see the driver.
- If not at a designated stop please ensure you hail the driver
Boarding the bus:
- Wait until the bus has stopped and the door has opened before approaching the bus.
- Allow passengers to alight before boarding the bus.
- Watch your step, and use the handrail.
- Remember to have you ticket ready, so you can show it to the bus driver. If you have to buy the ticket on the bus, make sure to have cash ready.
- If you need help boarding the bus or require assistance with your destination or route, ask the driver or some of the other passengers for help.
- Keep your ticket on you, so that you can easily access it in case of bus ticket inspection.
When on the bus:
- Remain seated throughout the journey.
- Use seatbelts if available, help kids belting up.
- Do not speak to or distract the driver while the bus is moving.
- If you see someone who is elderly, pregnant, mobility impaired or disabled, offer them your seat.
- Do not place bags on seats. Use the luggage racks where possible.
- Do not block the doorways and provide other passengers with enough space to move if they are getting off the bus.
- When standing, place bags on the floor between your feet.
- If you are travelling with children, keep them occupied, so that they do not disturb the other passengers unnecessarily.
Getting off at your stop:
- Press the stop button in time to allow the driver to stop the bus safely and smoothly.
- Remain seated until the bus has come to a complete stop.
- After you get off the bus, never attempt to cross the road in front of or behind the bus. Wait at the stop until the bus is gone, before crossing the road.